Strawberry Ginger Jam
A simple recipe for a strawberry and ginger jam with no pectin, ideal to take advantage of the strawberry season! It is very easy to make, and once you learn how to make homemade jam, there is no turning back.Jump to Recipe
About this recipe
I always prefer a homemade jam to a store-bought one, and once you realize how easy and simple it is to make, there is no going back.
The first thing you have to do is to go to the store and see what fruit is in season. Then feel free to play with the flavors, add some herb or replace the type of sugar.
- Strawberries: fresh strawberries.
- Lemon: fresh lemon juice for best flavor. I always prefer fresh lemon to bottled one.
- Sugar: I used white granulated sugar, but you can also use brown sugar. Keep in mind you should check the amount.
- Ginger: Grated fresh ginger. The best way to peel ginger is with a spoon.
In a deep saucepan mix the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and peeled and grated ginger. Let’s chill for at least one hour.
Heat over med-high, stirring, and bring mixture to a rolling boil.
Lower the heat and cook for approximately 50 minutes.
Stir frequently until the jam is thickened and has the desired consistency. If you get past the point, you can add a little water.
Transfer to a jar and let cool at room temperature.
Place the jam in sterilized jars. How to sterilize jars?? Place the jars and lids in a deep saucepan and cover completely with cold water (at least 1 inch above them). They should simmer for at least 10 minutes. Remove with tongs and place on a tray. Dry well, air-dry or pat dry with a clean paper towel, and set aside.
How to recover a jam?
It happens to all of us that we have an old jar of jam in the fridge, which crystallized and lost consistency? To recover it, in a deep saucepan pour a little water, and add the jam and drops of lemon juice. Heat over the minimum, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the jam regains consistency.
For more strawberry recipes…
Strawberry Ginger Jam
- 1 kg strawberries
- 4 cups granulated sugar (800gr)
- 30 gr lemon juice
- Grated ginger
- In a deep saucepan mix the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and peeled and grated ginger. Let's chill for at least one hour.
- Heat over med-high, stirring, and bring mixture to a rolling boil.
- Lower the heat and cook for approximately 50 minutes.
- Stir frequently until the jam is thickened and has the desired consistency.
- Let cool and transfer to a jar.