With very few ingredients you can make an amazing gluten-free chocolate and orange cake that everyone will love. It´s decadent, chocolaty, and with a hint of orange. Best recipe ever!!Jump to Recipe
About this recipe
This flourless chocolate orange cake is very very moist and incredibly tasty. If you are a chocolate lover, this recipe will not disappoint you!! Super fudgy!
The combination of chocolate and orange, which never fails, added to the olive oil, which gives it an incredible flavor and a lot of moisture, makes the cake a hit.
It’s easy to make, you have no excuse not to prepare it. You can serve it with whipped cream and some fresh fruits or also, with a scoop of ice cream.
- Almond flour: I use store-bought almond flour, but you can make your own almond flour.
- Granulated sugar: you can also use brown sugar.
- Eggs: room temperature eggs. We need the yolks and egg whites separately.
- Olive Oil: try to use the best olive oil you can afford.
- Orange: the zest of an orange.
- Chocolate: semisweet chocolate.
How to make chocolate orange cake
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Set aside.
Melt the chopped chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave.
Add into the chocolate 3/4 cup of sugar and the olive oil. Mix well.
Add the orange zest, 4 egg yolks, and the almond flour. Mix until well incorporated.
In another bowl beat the egg whites into snow with the rest of the sugar (1/4 cup) and add to the mixture.
The point (snow) happens when the egg white mixture is firm and peaks form on the rods, which do not come off and remain rigid. The stiff egg whites are so cohesive that you can tip the bowl over and the whites won´t fall out of it. Start from a lower to a higher speed of whipping. Beat at a low setting, until you get a nice foam, then increase to medium and then high speed
Place the mixture in a 9-inch round cake pan (24cm) lined with parchment paper at the base, buttered and floured (gluten-free flour).
Cook for 35 minutes. Keep in mind that all ovens are different.
Let cool before removing it from the pan.
Served it with whipped cream and fresh oranges.
If you don’t have olive oil at home, you can also use sunflower oil, and the cake will be delicious too. I haven’t tried to use coconut oil.
Store the cake in an air-tight container or wrap it in foil at room temperature for up to 3 days or you can store it in the fridge. Also, you can freeze the cake in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. To reheat, microwave for about 20 seconds or bake for 5-10 minutes in a medium oven (350°).
For more chocolate recipes…
Chocolate Orange Cake (Gluten Free)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 170 gr chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200gr)
- 1/2 cup and 3 tablespoons olive oil (125gr)
- 1 orange zest
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour (50gr)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Set aside.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Add into the chocolate 3/4 cup of sugar and olive oil. Mix well.
- Add the orange zest, egg yolks, and the almond flour. Mix until well incorporated.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites into snow with the rest of the sugar (1/4 cup) and add to the mixture.
- Place the mixture in a 9-inch round cake pan (24cm) lined with parchment paper at the base, buttered and floured (gluten-free flour).
- Cook for 35 minutes.
- Let cool before removing from the pan.
- Serve with whipped cream and oranges.